Saturday, December 21, 2013

25 Days of Christmas // Day 22

I don't have any pictures or videos or links for you today.
All I have are words. Hope that's alright.
I started my day by listening to a song. It's one of my favorites.
And you guessed it... it's a Christmas song.
If you have time go and look up "Joy to the World" by Sufjan Stevens.
And I don't know what it was about that song but it caused me to think about how I wrote a Christmas poem last year about my time in Tonga so far.
So I thought I'd do Round 2.

Christmas in Tonga - Year 2
'Twas three days before Christmas and all through this little town,
pigs and roosters could be heard - they make quite the sound!
Anyone who has skyped with me can surely attest, 
these animals very rarely give me a rest.
This includes fighting with cockroaches and trying to decrease the rat population in my house,
these rats are the size of North American squirrels - not your regular field mouse.
But that's alright because this year I became tougher,
I also listened to a lot of Sara Barielles - oh, I just love her.
In January I worked with Tongan teachers to prepare for the school year - we all fell in line,
In February I got the stomach flu and turned twenty-nine.
March I ventured to an outer island with some Peace Corps friends,
By April the high temperatures were coming to an end.
In May I started preparing for Camp GLOW and GROW,
June brought a trip to America and my sister's wedding to my new bro.
In July I started teaching yoga and zumba after school,
In August we practiced more English - and sang heaps of songs - which were cool.
At the end September my students took a big test and I swam with humpback whales,
October brought more English lessons, yoga and many funny school time tales.
In November I learned to make Tongan handicrafts with Class 5 and Class 6,
December meant the end of the school year, Camp GROW and GLOW and one epic Christmas song mix.
 It's hard to believe another year in the South Pacific has passed,
So many memories and adventures - new friends that will last.
This next year will go by quickly - I can already see,
It won't be long now until I'm back in the 53593.
Gotta make it count and help out where I can,
Teach, help and sing some more - this sounds like a pretty awesome plan.
So here's to you and yours, I hope you have a beautiful Christmas too,
Happy 2014 and much love to you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment