Saturday, November 17, 2012

The One With the Visitor

Today started off quite normally.

I got up, opened my mosquito net, put on my slippers and strolled into the kitchen to use my filtered water to make some coffee (I have one bag of real coffee from America that I am trying to make last as long as possible... but from the looks of it, will be gone by Friday. Sad times.). I'm waiting for the water to boil, opening the windows and doors to greet the day and go back to the sink to finish the dishes from my attempt at a partially edible rice, green pepper, onion dish from last night.

And that's when I heard it.

A soft little click, click, click on the ground.

I turned around slowly. And there he was.

All gleaming white with a red beak.

Randolph the Rooster.

He and I made eye contact. Stared each other up and down. I'm pretty sure music from an Old West film started playing ... you know the music right before two cowboys pull their guns?

No guns here though, but Randolph did fluff his feathers and spread his wings slightly. You know, to make himself big and buff, but I wasn't fooled. No-sir-ee. I lunged at him and you know what? He didn't even move. That little stinker. He let me know that this was his roost (no pun intended ... oh wait. Yeah. It was.) and he was claiming it. So I did the only thing that I could think of...

I grabbed the frying pan off the wall and ran at Randolph. Full-speed. In my pjs. He wasn't expecting it and made a bunch of garbly noises and ran out the back door, squawking and letting all of his rooster friends know that the Palangi girl living in the fale (house) was crazy.

But you know what else?

He came back, and this time I stood in the doorway as he sauntered across the playground field. He strutted right up to the front door. We both continued to glare at each other. Silly rooster. I made my wings (arms) big and he cockadoodledoo-ed at me. Twice. And then turned around and went back to wherever he lives. Which may or may not be a box behind the school with his other bird friends.

Next time I'm going to make sure I have the fixins' for Chicken Noodle Soup ready. I'm not playing around, here.



Also, side note: check out these bananas. They're huge!

IMG_0116.JPG  



1 comment:

  1. It kind if reminds me of the cockroach we caught in our "hotel" room in Jamaica. We chased it and the little turd kept coming back! And I'm jealous of your huge naners. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete