Wednesday, November 21, 2012

It's That Time of Year...

It's that time of year again. Have you heard?

It's officially the Christmas Season.

[Just in case you didn't already know. No worries, that's what I'm here for.]


In lieu of sending Christmas cards out, I send a Mix-Tape CD to friends and family. I create an annual album of my favorite tunes, design the cover art, buy 100% recycled CD holders and send them right around Thanksgiving so they can be listened to throughout the Christmas season. Because really...why get a Christmas CD on Christmas? Then you have to wait 340 days until you can listen to it ... or 200, if you're me. So this year I won't be able to send them. Insert sad face. Not because I don't want to or am fakapikopiko (lazy), but because I'm poor and it costs $2.40 to send a postcard. Also, it probably wouldn't get to America until February and that just wouldn't work. Raise your hand if you enjoy Christmas music on Valentine's Day? (Oh? I'm the only one? Well, rats.)

But you know what? I still made an album this year!

So here it is...my Christmas gift to you...
Mandy's Third Annual Christmas Album...

also known as...

Make the Season Bright

Here is some cover-art:

IMG_0122.JPG


And now for some tunes:

1. Holidays are coming by coca-cola**
2. Christmas Time is Here by Vince Guaraldi Trio

3. it's beginning to look a lot like christmas by perry como
4. The Christmas Song by Mel Torme
5. away in a manger by willie nelson
6. wassail song by the canadian brass

7. The First Noel by Coop & Lee*
8. revenge of the sugar plum fairy by Transiberian Orchestra
9. run rudolph by chuck berry
10. the christmas waltz by frank sinatra

11. rockin' around the christmas tree by brenda lee
12. sleigh ride by kenny g
13. god rest ye merry gentlemen/we three kings by the barenaked ladies & Sarah mcclachlan

14. i'll be home for christmas by michael buble
15. let it snow by bing crosby, danny kaye, rosemary clooney and vera allen***

I've spent the last 8-9 months widdling down my favorites to these 15. Now let's take a listen.

Download it here.

Pretty magical right?

I suggest listening to it while: wrapping presents with double-sided Scotch tape and pretty gold ribbon, drinking hot apple cider made with mulling spices from William Sonoma, decorating the Christmas tree with those big 'ole fashioned bulbs and popcorn garland that you made yourself, hanging stockings above your red brick fireplace, baking Christmas sugar cookies in the shape of Santa Claus and his lovely reindeer, watching Christmas lights from the comfort of your own car, dancing in the middle of the mall on a Saturday with your iPod in (bonus points if you sing!), cuddling up with your crush cutie and a good fleece blanket while watching giant snowflakes fall silently outside, sipping a peppermint mocha at your favorite local coffee shop or sitting next to the South Pacific Ocean.

Or really wherever else you spread your Yuletide Cheer! Enjoy!

- - - - - - - - - - - 
*A special shot-out goes to a fellow PCV, Mark, who actually recorded one of the tracks with a friend back in college. Mark is a talented musician and I asked permission if I could use the track this year. I hope you like it as much as I do.

**Perhaps one of the greatest TV commercials of all time. Do you remember? The Coca-Cola trucks are driving bumper to bumper into a sleepy little town and they begin to light up in time with the music as the snow falls? Pure awesomeness. Way to go, Coca-Cola. I also thought it was fitting because here in Tonga they have something called Coca-Cola Light (Tonga's version of Diet Coke) and it's pure deliciousness.

***This is from the best movie of all time, White Christmas. White Christmas was the first movie filmed in Columbia-Tri-Star Technicolor. Danny Kaye reminds me of a 1950's version of Conan O'Brien. It's worth checking out if you have time. I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment