Friday, November 16, 2012

Not Goodbye, Just See You Later

**If you are a vegetarian or get squeamish about eating weird foods, you should just skip this post. You've been warned.**



Originally written October 29, 2012: When I returned from PST training today, Una Lahi caught me at the front door and asked if I would like to invite Mark, Alissa and Tulu (my language teacher) over for dinner. The plan, she said, was to have a papaku (bbq) in honor of our last few days in Fatumu.


IMG_8958.JPG


Here I am grinding the coconut meat out of the coconut shell. Check out Franny sleeping in the background. Haha.


IMG_8979.jpg


This is Sela who is collecting the outer parts of the coconut to later strain the coconut meat to make coconut creme!


IMG_9000.jpg


The sun through my clean laundry.


IMG_9066.JPG

Pig roastin'.


IMG_9091.jpg IMG_9095.jpg


More pig roastin' with Mark & Alissa.

IMG_9102.JPG


Here I am roastin' the pig.


IMG_9154.jpg


This is Siulaki, my host grandfather (kuitangata in Tongan).

IMG_9159.JPG


I like pictures of roastin' pigs, apparently.


IMG_9178.JPG


Una Lahi and Tiani.


IMG_9208.jpg


Una Lahi's sister.




IMG_9223.JPG


That's the head of the pig. And those are my fingers digging inside of the skull.




IMG_9224.JPG  


Here I am eatin' some pig brain. And it wasn't bad! It's Una Si'i's favorite part. It's a little spongy, tastes pretty smokey and if you aren't into weird textures I'd say give it a go.

The night was awesome. Full of food and great conversation, it was a great way to say "See You Later". I will miss these guys so much when I finish homestay.



No comments:

Post a Comment