Thursday, February 27, 2014

Journal Post: The One About Songs

We all have songs that really mean something to us. Often just hearing it can take us right back to that place and we are able to re-experience the memory associated with the song. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but either way music has the ability to really draw things out of us and evoke deep emotion. Choose a song that has a particular meaning to you. Tell the story of the memory associated with the song, sharing as much detail as you can. Take us there; let us experience it with you.

Let's time travel together just like we did in this post.

Back to 1990. Back then I lived with my family in a small ranch-style home in the middle of the country outside of Madison, Wisconsin. Growing up in Wisconsin is one of those things that I will always cherish. I love being a midwestern girl. I loved that my playground was a grove of pine trees (it really made the BEST fort), that I was able to spend time picking raspberries with my father and my sister (Molly ate them all!), and spending afternoons flying rainbow painted kites in a field behind our home. 

It was special. Looking back at that time in my life - everything seemed exciting - like the grandest of adventures. Some days I pretended I lived in the old west and would go running through the saloon-style doors into our kitchen announcing the new outfit I had put on my barbie doll and other days I would play my dad's out-of-tune guitar in the basement make believing that I was Bobby Darin (even though I didn't really know who that was then)

And that's where the song memory comes in.

My memory involves spending a cloudy fall afternoon listening to Splish Splash by Bobby Darin and dancing with my mom, dad and little sister. My brother was just a baby then, but I'm sure he was probably rocking out in his bouncy chair. I loved how the song built at the beginning and it just made you want to move. My mom loved (loves) it too and I remember her singing it to us while we took our bubble baths. Man, I still love bubble baths. 

Here it is for listening pleasure.



2 comments:

  1. I love the things (like songs) that remind us of these childhood moments... so simple, and yet powerful because they stick with you and give you something to smile about when you look back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! Smiles all around :-) Love your blog!

      Delete