Saturday, June 7, 2014

What's been happening...

Sorry for the radio silence recently. I've been spending lots of time outside with my students and doing things that are meaningful to me and my service here and I haven't had much time to sit down and write it all out.

I cannot believe that I'll be leaving this place in roughly 4 months. It's hard to imagine not being in Tonga anymore. I don't really want to think about it and I'm trying to just enjoy the little things now and trying not to over think things (Have I helped the people of Tonga? What will my legacy here be? Have I made this place better than when I found it?)

Here's what's been up recently...

practicing/ Tongan. I'm still trying to get better at the language but my motivation and strength in it seems to ebb and flow like the tides of the South Pacific. I haven't given up hope yet!

moving/ around more! My joints have been feeling so much better recently. Thank you, God!

learning/ what it's like to have a working computer and a working copy machine in school. It's been such a blessing to have one now. (The PTA raised enough money to purchase these two items and I've forgotten what it's like to teach or lesson plan with them!)

trying/ to get back into shape. Not sure if you saw that Tonga was in the news the other day (they take the crown for fattest nation in the world) and I don't want to be part of that statistic. 

playing/ games with my students. They love playing a version of jacks called Moa. Only they don't use jacks... they use rocks instead... because they are easier to find.

wearing/ long sleeves. The trade winds are back in full force and it's getting down to a chilly 69 degrees at night! Woo-hoo! This cold-weather-loving girl is very very happy.

cooking/ apple cinnamon rolls ... there are in the oven as we speak and oh my word do they smell great. 

working/ on preparing for the King's visit in a few weeks. I've been practicing ta fuka (literal translation: draw the flag) with the kids of the island. They wear red or white and create the flag based on how they stand and then we sing happy birthday to the king and then we will all take part in a fun aerobics/zumba routine.

adventuring/ around the island. Last night we were able to go out to a little Spanish tapas restaurant (special treat!) and next weekend we are traveling out to one of the prettiest beaches in all of Tonga.

Hope you are having a great week! 



No comments:

Post a Comment