Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Throw Back Thursday - The Perfect Dad for Me.

Must have been a good book.
I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who are celebrating their dads this week. And I'm sure that many of them are saying things like "I have the best dad in the whole wide world!" and "My dad is the greatest dad EVER!" Now I know I have been one to say some version of these things, but as I was looking at these pictures last night I realized that there is more to being a dad than being the best at it. When you include the word best you make fatherhood out to be a competition - and it isn't. All dads walk the path differently. There are so many wonderful and caring fathers out there, but at the end of the day, I'm so very glad to call Dick Pederson my dad.

What I've learned is that in 1984 God blessed me with a dad ...who is perfect for me.
And the older I get the more I realize why he is the perfect dad for me.

Dick P. is far from perfect.
In fact, I'd call him perfectly imperfect.

He is a wonderful combination of loving, compassionate, selfless, goofy, sometimes serious, and friendly.
He's taught me to constantly be exploring and appreciating the world in which we live.
He treats everyone with respect even if they think differently than he does.

I think he's special for many reasons - he's the ultimate encourager, he's a great hug giver (even when I don't want them), he's a man of great faith, and he can talk to anyone on Earth about anything. He's devoted to his family and is a wonderful husband to my mom. And he's not perfect, not even close, and that makes me love him all the more. My dad didn't try to be a super hero or the best dad while I was growing up but I know that he tried to give me the best upbringing he knew how. He never tried to hide his flaws and in doing so has taught me that it's okay to recognize and embrace my own.

When I was little Dad noticed the things that brought me joy, recognized my talents (and celebrated them!), and made me feel like anything I could put my mind to was possible. When I made the B-team in basketball he made it feel like I had been a first round draft pick in the NBA. When I gifted him the world's ugliest tie (covered with deer, trees and a turkey), he made it seem like it was more precious than gold. He made me feel special (and still does) and he does that for my brother and sister too.

I'm a really lucky girl and I don't tell him that enough.
Thanks for being you, Dad ... perfect for me.

Exploring the sweet awesomeness of autumn with Dick P.

No comments:

Post a Comment