Friday, August 17, 2012

Tonga? That's in Africa, right?

The title of this post describes a situation that has happened at least a handful of times since I have started telling people about my adventure into the Peace Corps.

They might be confused because when I initially described my desire to join Peace Corps I mentioned how neat-o (yeah, that word is still in my vocabulary) it would be to travel to Africa. This didn't happen due to a severe allergy to fire ants, but I'm not complaining. Everything happens for a reason.

Now here I am... headed to the South Pacific.

Back to Tonga.

Source

Here's a quick lesson about Tonga - let's call it Tonga 101. You ready? I bet you are.

Top 10 Interesting Facts about The Kingdom of Tonga (according to me):

1. Location: The Kingdom of Tonga is located in the South Pacific Ocean. See the above map.

2. Nickname: The Friendly Islands

3. The Kingdom of Tonga is the last remaining Polynesian kingdom in the South Pacific. Which means that Tonga has a king.

4. There are 170 Tongan Islands. Only 36 of them are inhabited. 

5. Population: 102,000.

6. What is the capital of Tonga? Nuku'alofa. I'm very excited to learn how to actually say that. The " ' " means that there is a glottal stop. The glottal stop is something that I have no mastered yet. In time, hopefully I will.

7. Food and feasting are an important part of Tongan society, and the feasts of the Kingdom are renowned throughout the Pacific. Tongan diet includes: spit roasted suckling pig, steamed fish, coconut cream, octopus, yams, taro, sweet potatoes and cassava.

8. The official currency of Tonga is the pa'anga. Right now, $1 in the US is equal to 1.75 pa'anga (TOP).

9. The highest point in Tonga is Kao Island.

10. The literacy rate in Tonga is 99%. What a great number. I wonder what America can learn from Tonga?

Source
Until next time... I think we'll talk about the Tongan language next.

1 comment:

  1. People always think Africa when we talk about it too. ha! Can't wait to meet everybody-only two weeks....wow so much to do in so little time!!

    ReplyDelete