Monday, December 10, 2012

Healthy Lifestyles: Swim Lessons

Even though Tonga is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean there are many people that live here that don't know how to swim. This week I was asked to help teach swimming lessons. My friend Zach invited me, along with 3 local Tongan youths to help lead the class at a local pool. We worked with 10 kids and it was awesome.

My favorite part happened this morning when a little girl named Moia (Mo-ee-ah) took her very first swim lesson.

She and I were partners. I really had no chose in the matter because from the moment she saw me she had both of my hands in hers and was squealing to get started. I didn't mind at all. She was super cute and her smile probably could have been seen across the warf. That's how big it was.

So when Zach paired us up it solidified our bond. Moia squealed again and hugged me around the waist. This little girl had more enthusiasm in her pinky toe than I do in my entire body. And some say that I am pretty enthusiastic.

At one point we played a game called "The Food Game" (creative title award alert!) where each student had to listen to the head teacher say the name of a food and if they liked to eat it they simply jumped in the water. I am pretty sure Moia wasn't listening and just wanted to jump. But I didn't care because every time she jumped she would look up to the sky and throw her hands up into the air and rocket herself off the side of the pool like she had just won $1,000,000. There was only one injury (a foot to the face. no big deal).

She loved it.

I loved it.

Not a word of English was spoken. But we both understood how much fun swimming can be.

I would like to think that it was also a reminder of the importance of a positive attitude when trying something new. Thanks, Moia.



No comments:

Post a Comment