Friday, December 28, 2012

'Ene'io Beach

Boxing Day (December 26th) started off pretty uneventfully. I woke up, made some coffee and attempted a medium level sudoku puzzle (which was actually a lot harder than I thought). Then my phone rang and Ane, my counterpart, asked me if I would like to "eva" with her family to the 'Ene'io Beach. I had heard very good things about this beach, which is located on the eastern side of the island, so I was very excited to receive the invitation. She said she would pick me up as soon as they finished cooking the food for the day. When it was time a caravan of vans and trucks came to the school. There were 20 people, the majority of them sitting in back of the Cinderella truck with the food. We drove the 45 minutes to the beach and when we entered, this is what I saw.

IMG_0628.JPG


We spread out our Tongan mats (pictured above) and ate. Hot dogs, roast pig, chicken, etc. Then I went with the littlest girls to go swimming. Ms. Una (pictured below) was very scared at first, but after watching her sisters and the palangi (me) having fun, she jumped in.

IMG_0584.JPG


They love to take pictures with the peace sign.

IMG_0580.JPG


This is littlest sister.

IMG_0607.JPG


Here is Una being fearless.


IMG_0585.jpg


IMG_0648.JPG


Una and I are kindred spirits. Based on stories my mother has told me throughout my life, I believe I may have been a lot like Una as a 2-year-old. The girl hates wearing clothes. She has an obsession with creme filled vanilla wafers and spent the majority of the day exploring with sticks.

IMG_0699.JPG


IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0688.jpg   


This is William. He wanted to show me the new bouncy ball that he received as a Christmas gift.

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG


Man, look at those tan lines. I may look like a lobster (even though I applied sunscreen three times), but it was an awesome day!

IMG_0623.JPG




    



No comments:

Post a Comment