Friday, September 14, 2012

Rivers


“I would love to live like a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding.” – John O’Donohue

I’m surprised by something every day I’m here. Usually it has nothing to do with the big events, but is almost always found in the little things: like listening to the roar of the waves as I hang my laundry on a clothesline, the smile of a 7-year-old Tongan boy who bravely stood in front of the class and introduced himself in English for the first time, sharing fresh orange leaf tea with my host family around a kitchen table that is older than I am. As I sit here contemplating today, listening to the rain on the tin roof of this little house, I feel grateful. So unbelievably grateful. I have no idea how the next 2+ years will unfold and if you ask me tomorrow morning how I’m doing I may say “I’m a little homesick”, but I love it here. Moment to moment my thoughts ebb and flow like some great river – unable to make up their mind –
“Can I really do this?”
“I can’t believe I’m here!”
“2 years of everlasting bug bites? Yuck.”
“I get to drink out of a coconut every lunch?! Sweet!”
- and I think maybe I’m okay with this rollercoaster ride - with the unpredictability of it all. I am a giant ball of excited-scared-overwhelmed-humbled and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment