Tuesday, September 4, 2012

5 things

Here are 5 things I learned/observed today:

1. This morning I awoke to the sound of church bells, roosters and barking dogs. The guesthouse I am staying at has windows that are permanently open. It's something else waking up in cool air and not having to use an alarm.

2. My breakfast consisted of fresh papaya, coconut and bananas.

3. On my walk to the Peace Corps Office (which is about 3 km away from the guesthouse in which I sleep) I was greeted by a group of little barefoot boys who waved and yelled out "Hi! Bye! Hi! Bye!" and proceeded to giggle as they ran to school in the opposite direction.

4. I watched as the men in my Peace Corps trainee group bought tupenus (pronounced: too-pay-news) - which are part of the professional wardrobe in Tonga. They look like long wrap skirts and come in a variety of colors. The boys seem to like them and say they are very comfortable. It's not a bad look!

5. Pigs, roosters and dogs roam the streets of Nuku'alofa. The baby pigs are my favorite. I want to adopt one but know that it'll probably be used for a pig roast.


Before I sign off, I want to say Happy Birthday to my little sister Molly. I will try to call you on your birthday but I can't promise. It's almost September 6th here, so Happy 26th! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment