Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fefe hake? (pronounced: fay-fay hah-kay)

Toto atu! (Pronounced Toe-toe ah-too)

(The title of this post translates to "How are you?" in Tongan and toto atu means "excellent!").

Because I am. I am totally 100% toto atu!

Language school is one of my favorite parts of the day during Peace Corps Pre-Service Training. I have a teacher named Tulu (pronounced: Too-loo) and she is a native Tongan lady and is hilarious. She makes learning Tongan easy. It's totally okay to make mistakes with her. We sang a lot of songs today, learned the alphabet and how to engage in basic dialogue. Iooo! (This means: yes!)

We also learned about the Ministry of Education here in Tonga. It's interesting that Tonga faces a lot of the same issues that the U.S. does in terms of their education system (to centralize or decentralize? what do you do with data? what should be tested and how?). I can't wait for our fieldtrip to the Ministry of Education tomorrow.

It's been raining for the last 24 hours straight. I don't mind. Rain is sometimes nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment