Saturday, March 8, 2014

Happy Birthday, Dad!


March 9th is a special day in my world.
It's my dad's birthday.

So...
Happy Birthday, Dad.

Here’s a list of 10 things I have forgotten to tell you over the years:
1. Your ability to talk to anyone and everyone is one of my favorite things about you (even though as a kid I didn’t care for it much) and is probably why you were voted  Holiday Inn’s Shuttle Driver of the Year (they let me choose the award for that this year… no, they didn’t. But if they did, my pick would be you!).  
2. One of my favorite memories involving you is when we used to practice turkey calls in the basement. Mom would get so mad.
3. In high school, I used to steal your socks before I’d go to cross-country practice. This was a regular occurrence. Sorry ‘bout that. It’s just that mine were never clean and/or I could never find them.
4. I cherished our morning breakfast time together more than you know. Thanks for letting me read the local section of the newspaper first and for making me oatmeal in the Crockpot. We both know that mushy raisins are the best.
5. Now on to matters involving wardrobe choices: I hate to break it to you, but mustard is not your color. I have to agree with Mom – many times when you would leave for work you did resemble Dwight Schrute. Shoot. I wasn’t suppose to tell you that. But you really did have the brown-pants-brown-sport-coat thing down.
6. I don’t hate your obsession with Rod Stewart. I think it’s funny that you like his music so much, but I won’t tell anyone if you don’t want me to.  And if someone asks, I’ll just say that his tunes keep you forever young (See what I did there?).
7. I appreciate your affinity for plaid couches and the cozy feel of anything labeled “Northwoods”. Bring on the kitschy moose, bear and deer pillows. We definitely need another wooden loon for the fireplace mantle. And while you’re at it I think you should invest in another Terry Redlin painting. It’ll match the other 18 prints you already have hanging in the house.
8. I loved Friday nights as a kid because you would, without fail, come home from the movie store with the world’s most obscure movie. They were usually super weird, Dad. Except when you brought home Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. That was a good choice.  Kevin Costner is a cutie-pa-tootie. But really, you obviously completely ignored the blockbuster section and instead chose the movie based on how old it was (1980’s movies were some of your favorite picks), what the movie jacket said and/or whether you thought the cover art was groovy. Remember that one time when you brought home the one with the subtitles and Molly and Erik couldn’t even read yet? Or the one about the otter who was going through the irrigation ditches? 
9. Speaking of movies, I like that sometimes you prefer to watch the Hallmark Channel over sports. Just like #6, I promise not to tell anyone. I know your hunting buddies (Hey, Stu!) would give you lots of crap for that. Don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me.
10. You're the greatest dad. Ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment