Saturday, January 19, 2013

Camp GLOW: An introduction

June, July and August are going to be tough months for me this year. It will be the first time since 2007 that I am not spending my [northern hemisphere] summer in Maine and that's hard to think to wrap my mind around. So when I found out that there was an opportunity here in Tonga to get involved in a camp, I jumped at the chance.


Camp GLOW is something special. 2013 will be it's fourth year in the Kingdom and I am so excited to be directing it in Vava'u. It takes place during "spring break" in September. It's goal is to empower young women by advocating healthy lifestyles, providing vital information on sensitive topics, teaching leadership and team-building skills, encouraging critical thinking and logical decision-making, building a network of motivated girls and women, and fostering self-confidence and creative expression through a fun, safe and judgement-free environment.

IMG_0787.JPG


A few weeks ago, Dominica (a PCV that has since returned to America!) introduced me to some Camp GLOW alumni and got me really excited about the project.

IMG_0789.JPG


The girls I met that day were amazing. They are kind, smart, funny and eager to learn.

IMG_0790.JPG  

At one point I pulled out some of the adventure games I learned at Camp Laurel South and they loved it. Even if I didn't speak their language that well.

IMG_0804.jpg  

Although temperatures hovered around 30 degrees celsius and the air was thick with humidity, it didn't matter.

IMG_0809.JPG  

We chatted, laughed and they shared with me what they loved about GLOW and what it means to be a GLOW girl.

IMG_0813.JPG

Here's to getting this project started and being able to offer this opportunity to more girls in Tonga!   



No comments:

Post a Comment