Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Being Present.

Notice: This is filed under Crunchy Granola Thoughts. You don't have to read it. I'm a little hippy dippy sometimes. If you don't like it then you're in the wrong corner of the internet.


IMG_9985.JPG


I am fan of lists and planning for the future. With the arrival of every chapter in my life I continue to look forward - to the next big thing, project, move, goal, etc. I like to plan for what comes next and while this is important, it takes me away from the NOW. Here in the Peace Corps, anytime anybody brings up our COS (Close of Service), we end up rolling our eyes and laughing at each other. Inevitably somebody says, "Two years is a long time." There are moments in the Peace Corps where this planning lets me leave reality momentarily, giving me a brief escape (because sometimes it's needed), but mostly I feel that every time I think about the future here, I am wishing away my time in the Peace Corps. I want to be mindful, intentional and present in everything I do here, but the habits I have created in the past are not helping with this task (hey, that sort of rhymed). I want to be excited about what comes next in life and what I'm preparing for and how my service in Tonga is helping me get there, but I also want to make sure that I am soaking in as much of this experience as I can. So I'm asking for your help.


IMG_0219.jpg


What do you do to stay in the present?





No comments:

Post a Comment