Tuesday, July 30, 2013

|| quotables ||



Maybe these quotes will speak to you the way they did to me. maybe not. Either way, here's a post full of quotes that have inspired me recently.

"The journey is the reward." :: More than a few people have told me "Mandy, think of how good it's going to feel when you are done with Peace Corps!" and while I'm sure I will feel like I accomplished a big goal, that isn't why I'm here and it's not why I'm doing this. For me, that's just like wishing away two years of my life... that's no way to live! (Though I have had my moments when I wish it would speed up a bit) having an idea of where my life will go, but shouldn't be something that I'm dwelling on every day. This is hard to remember sometimes, but I'm working on leading a mindful life - living in the present and being grateful for where I am at in this moment.

“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest good intention.” - Oscar Wilde
:: When I look back at what I've done the last 11 months there are many things that stick out, but none of them can be written on a resume. Meeting new people, getting hugs from my students, high-fiving  a friend when they are excited, learning to embrace and navigate a new culture, laughing with the neighbors ... these are the things that I will remember. The little things.

.الجيات أحسن من الرايحات What is coming is better than what is gone. - Arabic Proverb
:: Almost all of the time, I love my life. I am grateful for the experiences I have had and the adventure I have been on. I like that I'm navigating a path that is uniquely my own. The people that I've met are treasures (every single one - they each teach you something), but I'm so excited to see what is around the corner. It seems like every year life gets sweeter and that's a great feeling.


When people talk, listen completely. - Ernest Hemingway :: But what does that mean? Listen completely? Even in Tonga people are sometimes distracted during conversations. They are more focused on other things or what is coming next. To completely listen means to put everything down, to devote your full attention (not just your ears) to what the person is saying. It's a great feeling to feel like you are really being heard, that your opinion and thoughts and feelings matter. I know I need to be reminded of this sometimes.


Do you have quotes that you return to often? Words that inspire you?



No comments:

Post a Comment