Thursday, October 25, 2012

5 Things I Never Thought...


Here are 5 things I never thought I would say:

1. "Which is your favorite root crop?" A good portion of my diet is root crops - manioke, kumala (sweet potatoes), ufi (yams), taro and potatoes. The other day I asked Una Si'i what her favorite root crop was. We disagreed (her favorite is manioke while mine is kumala - especially the deep, dark purple ones!)
2. "There are only 50 ants in the sugar? Pick around them. I still want some." Tonga has a bit of an ant problem. At least they aren't fire ants (hives, anyone?). It's a pretty large uphill battle - one in which I will never ever ever win. And I occasionally like sugar in my coffee. Maybe they're a good source of protein? 
3. "That ice cold shower was the best thing ever!" The mercury on the thermometer is only going to go up up up from here. November and December are the hottest months here in the South Pacific and these cold showers are the only thing close to "air-conditioning" that I have. 
4. "I counted. There are 5 lizards on my ceiling. That's gotta be a record!" These little guys are cute, but boy-oh-boy are they loud. The noise they make doesn't seem natural either - the sound is similar to someone flicking a thin piece of wood or a wall.  
5. "Is it safe to pass that cow?" Yesterday, Mark, Alissa and I were walking home from visiting our friends, Ryan and Abby in Lavengatonga. There was a cow standing in the middle of the road - the road that we had to walk down to return to Fatumu. The cow was brown and white. And big. Just chilling. She kept stopping and staring us down, but all I cared about was whether or not she had horns. I have a friend back home that got into a bull accident a couple years ago, and I kept picturing myself being thrown into the air by this very large animal and ending up in the hospital. Luckily that didn't happen. We just passed each other quietly. If anything, the cow was scared. More scared than I was. And I was pretty darn scared.


What about you? What's something that you didn't imagine yourself saying but slipped out anyway this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment